After the whirlwind of fun I had last week celebrating my husband’s birthday, and our weekend trip to the lake, things at our house are finally calming down and we’re getting back into our daily routine. With daily routine comes my nightly dinners and more cooking (Yay!). We arrived home at a decent hour on Sunday so I ran to the grocery store and picked up necessities for dinner this week so we wouldn’t starve to death! We decided that after a weekend of eating processed foods, lunch meat and overly salty foods, that having a nice home cooked, not so salty meal, would be in our best interest. I grabbed some boneless rib eyes and potatoes for my husband to grill, and I made these delicious baked avocados. After trying these based on a recipe that one of the folks we were on vacation had been talking about, there are a few things I would do differently next time. For example, I would love to add some plain breadcrumbs to the stuffing mixture so once they cook, there is a little bit of crunch, and not too much “mush” texture.
Chipotle Cheddar Baked Avocados
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, pitted
- 1 lime (plus wedges for serving)
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 small chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- Pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
Preheat the broiler on the oven to high. Mix cheese, minced chipotle pepper, juice from one lime, breadcrumbs, and pinch of salt in small bowl. Place avocados on baking sheet and top with stuffing mixture. Place under the broiler, about 5-6 inches away, for about 5 minutes, or until cheese has turned brown and is bubbling. Serve warm with a lime wedge.
If you end up trying these before I get a chance to make them again, please let me know what you think of the breadcrumbs! And just fair warning, they are a little on the spicy side, so make sure to use less pepper if you are sensitive to spicy things.
- Stuffed Avocados (tabithaneal.wordpress.com)
- Yummy, yummy in my tummy! (newadventuresoflittleoldme.com)
- Chipotle Cheddar-Stuffed Hamburgers (inspirationsfinecatering.wordpress.com)
- Macaroni and Cheese & Recipe for Macaroni and Cheese | Pottery Barn (potterybarn.com)
- Eggs ‘n Avocado (thequirke.com)
- Stuffed Avocado (love2type.wordpress.com)
- The Good Fats: Benefits of Eating Avocado (weightloss.answers.com)